Residential Real Estate

selling property

Selling property can be an extremely personal and stressful endeavour. At Robertson LLP, we pride ourselves on our ability to keep the entire procedure personalized and as stress free as possible for our clients because we understand them.

No one likes surprises when it comes to legal fees!
At Robertson LLP, we do not charge extra for items such as monoline lenders and multiple payouts. Our fees do not increase based on the purchase price. Use our Fee Estimator below to estimate your legal fees with Robertson LLP right now!

Our Selling Process

  1. Robertson LLP receives contract from the Seller(s) or their agent once all conditions have been waived (a firm deal).
  2. The client(s) receive their Robertson LLP ‘Welcome Email’ introducing them to their assigned paralegal and requesting all the required information.
  3. Once the appointment is booked, the client(s) receive their Robertson LLP ‘Confirmation of Appointment’ Email. This confirms the time, date, address and name of the lawyer they are meeting for their appointment. It also lists all the required items which the client(s) must bring with them.
  4. At the meeting the lawyer will go through the financial aspects of the sale, explain the transfer and other signing documents and answer any of the clients’ questions surrounding their sale.
  5. The executed documents and Real Property Report (if applicable) are then sent to the Purchaser’s lawyer for review and registration at the Alberta Land Titles Office.
  6. On the ‘Closing Date’, Robertson LLP receives the ‘Cash to Close’ from the Purchaser’s lawyer and will notify the Purchaser’s real estate agent that ‘keys may be released’.
  7. Then, Robertson LLP pays out any of the following as directed by the client; existing mortgages, lines of credit, other loans, realtor commissions, credit cards, any other items specified by the client and our legal fees.
  8. Once paid, the Sale proceeds are then issued to the client along with their full reporting package explaining the full breakdown to the funds with official statements.
  9. Following the Closing Date, Robertson LLP finishes the file by obtaining any required discharges of all of the Seller’s encumbrances which are then submitted to Alberta Land Titles Office to be removed.

Please provide your home Purchase Price, Property Type (Condo or House), and Mortgage Amount and our team will e-mail you a no-obligation, individualized quote for your review within the hour.

    Phone: 403-407-2605

    Or E-mail: [email protected]

    Disbursements will vary according to the value of the property and include items such as; land titles fees, courier services, tax searches, court runners, title searches and any other out of pocket costs our firm pays on your behalf to facilitate the closing of the transaction. To confirm your estimate quote today, contact our team now. Any additional charges or fees will be determined during our initial discussion with you concerning your individual real estate transaction. We work hard to understand our clients’ individual situations as best we can, to avoid any unforeseen expenses.

    Why do I need a lawyer?

    Here are just a few reasons why you require a lawyer to sell property:

    • Your lawyer will review your legal documentation to ensure your right are being protected;
    • Your lawyer will coordinate the entire closing working with all required parties to ensure success;
    • Real estate transactions in Alberta are typically closed utilizing lawyer trust conditions, unavailable to non-lawyers;
    • Your lawyer shall ensure your mortgage andother required encumbrances are paid out and discharged;
    • Legal representation is a preventative measure for any disputes that may arise and is invaluable if they do.

    What is the Dower?

    Dower rights protect the spouse of a registered owner of property. The Dower Act requires the spouse who is not on title to consent to any disposition of land.

    These include;

    • a transfer, agreement for sale, lease for more than 3 years
    • mortgages or encumbrances intended to charge land with the payment of a sum of money
    • a devise or other disposition made by will

    Who pays my real estate agent?

    Characteristically, the Seller is responsible for paying the real estate commissions in accordance with the seller representation agreement.

    What about my regular mortgage payments?

    All scheduled payments must be made up to and including the closing date. If you have a scheduled payment for the closing date, you must still make this payment.

    What do I do about getting my mortgage payout statement?

    Once you have provided Robertson LLP with your account number, they will take care of attaining the payout statement on your behalf.

    What is a Real Property Report (‘RPR’)?

    A RPR is a legal document that clearly illustrates the location of significant visible improvements relative to property boundaries. It can be relied upon by the buyer, the seller, the lender and the municipality as an accurate representation of the improvements on your property.

    Why do I need a Real Property Report (‘RPR’)?

    Usually the purchase agreement requires the Seller to provide a real property report with compliance to the Purchaser.

    How do I know if I need a new RPR?

    If you have not made any changes to your property since your purchase, then your RPR will be considered current; however, if you have added a deck, air conditioner, garage or fence then you will require an updated RPR.

    What is a Bareland condominium?

    Bareland condominium unit boundaries are defined by boundaries marked on the land; any buildings on the land are contained in the condominium unit. A Bareland condominium complex may look like a neighborhood of single-family homes or townhomes. Bareland condominiums operate in the same way as conventional condominiums, but may not have as many common property elements since yards and driveways are located inside the boundaries of each condominium unit. If you are unsure as to whether your property is a bare land condominium, you should speak with your lawyer or real estate agent.

    What is an estoppel certificate?

    The estoppel certificate is a formal confirmation that acts as evidence that there are no contributions, assessments or fees of any kind that are overdue with regards to the particular condominium unit. Sellers of condominium units will be required to obtain an estoppel certificate prior to the Closing Date. The staff at Douglas Robertson will order one on your behalf should you require.

    When will I receive my proceeds of sale?

    Provided registration has occurred prior to closing, you should receive your funds on the afternoon of the Closing Date.

    How do the property taxes work?

    Property taxes are adjusted as of the closing date. The seller is compensated against the purchase price by the buyer for any overpayments made on a prorate basis or vice versa.

    What happens with Condo fees?

    Condo fees are adjusted as of the closing date. The seller is compensated against the purchase price by the buyer for any overpayments made on a prorate basis or vice versa.

    When do I have to meet the lawyer?

    Typically, you will need to meet with the lawyer 7-10 days prior to the Closing Date.

    Why can’t I sign and scan my signature?

    Alberta Land Titles requires original signatures on all documents.

    Can I buy and sell on the same day?

    It is possible to buy and sell on the same day. However, you will be required to have the cash portion of your purchase prior to the closing date. Most lenders offer interim (AKA bridge) financing options for this situation.

    Can I purchase before I sell?

    Yes you can. Most lenders offer interim (AKA bridge) financing options for this situation, should you require the sales proceeds from your current home to purchase your new home.