Re-Financing property can be a highly private and personal investment return, which must be dealt with in a very professional manner and the process should be handled with individualized care. At Robertson LLP, we pride ourselves on our ability to keep the entire procedure personalized and as stress free as possible for our clients because we understand them.
No-one likes surprises when it comes to legal fees!
At Robertson LLP, we do not charge extra for items such as monoline lenders and multiple payouts. Our fees do not increase based on the purchase price. Use our Fee Estimator below to estimate your legal fees with Robertson LLP right now!
- Robertson LLP receives information from the client or instructions from your lender.
- The client(s) receive their Robertson LLP ‘Welcome Email’ introducing them to their assigned paralegal and requesting all the required information.
- Once the appointment is booked, the client(s) receive their Robertson LLP ‘Confirmation of Appointment’ Email. This confirms the time, date, address and name of the lawyer they are meeting for their appointment. It also lists all the required items which the client(s) must bring with them.
- At the scheduled meeting the lawyer will go through the financial aspects and any other signing documents and answer any of the clients’ questions.
- On the ‘Closing Date’, Robertson LLP receives the ‘Mortgage Proceeds’ from the lender and registers the new mortgage documents at the Land Titles Office.
- Then, Robertson LLP pays out any of the following as directed by the client; existing mortgages, lines of credit, other loans, credit cards, any other items specified by the client and our legal fees.
- Once paid, the proceeds are then issued to the client along with their reporting package explaining the full breakdown to the funds with official statements.
- After the Closing Date, Robertson LLP finishes the file by procuring any required discharges of existing encumbrances which are then submitted to Alberta Land Titles Office to be removed. Once this is complete the client will receive final electronic copy of updated Title.
The ‘Fee Estimate’ shown here is an estimate only, and is based on a typical residential real estate transaction. To confirm your free individualized quote, contact our team today.
Any additional charges or fees will be determined during our initial discussion with you concerning your individual real estate transaction. We work hard to understand our clients’ individual situations as best we can, to avoid any unforeseen expenses.
*Disbursements vary according to the value of the property and include items such as; land titles fees, courier services, tax searches, court runners, title searches and any other out of pocket costs our firm pays on your behalf to facilitate the closing of the transaction. To confirm your estimate quote today, contact our team now.
Why do I need a lawyer?
Here are just a few reasons why you require a lawyer to purchase property:
- Your lawyer will review your legal documentation to ensure your rights are being protected;
- Your lawyer will coordinate the entire closing working with all required parties to ensure success;
- Real estate transactions in Alberta are typically closed utilizing lawyer trust conditions, unavailable to non-lawyers;
- Lending institutions require a lawyer to draft mortgage documentation and deliver funds;
- Legal representation is a preventative measure for any disputes that may arise and is invaluable if they do.
What is the Dower?
Dower rights protect the spouse of a registered owner of property. The Dower Act requires the spouse who is not on title to consent to any disposition of land.
- a transfer, agreement for sale, lease for more than 3 years
- mortgages or encumbrances intended to charge land with the payment of a sum of money
- a devise or other disposition made by will
What about my regular mortgage payments?
All scheduled payments must be made, up to and including the closing date. If you have a scheduled payment for the closing date, you must still make this payment.
What do I do about getting my payout statement?
Once you have provided Robertson LLP with your account number, they will take care of attaining the payout statement on your behalf.
What is an estoppel certificate?
The estoppel certificate is a formal confirmation that acts as evidence that there are no contributions, assessments or fees of any kind that are overdue with regards to the particular condominium unit. Sellers of condominium units will be required to obtain an estoppel certificate prior to the Closing Date. The staff at Douglas Robertson will order one on your behalf should you require.
When will I receive my proceeds?
Provided registration has occurred prior to closing, you should receive your funds on the afternoon of the Closing Date.
When do I have to meet the lawyer?
Typically, you will need to meet with the lawyer 7-10 days prior to the Closing Date.
Why can’t I sign and scan my signature?
Alberta Land Titles requires original signatures on all documents.
My experience with Robertson LLP was a very positive one from start to finish. The firm was there to guide me through the process. They were always prompt in answering my emails, and calls, with questions I had along the way. I would absolutely recommend this firm, to anyone buying or selling their home or rental property in the future.
Thank you to everyone for all your help making this a smooth and wonderful experience! We are very excited to move into our new home.
Robertson LLP represented us on the sell side of our residential property and we could not have anticipated a better experience. We were contacted promptly after our sale agreement documents were signed and the condition date was met, and informed of how the legal process would proceed from that point forward. Our contacts at the firm were accessible at any time with any questions or concerns that we had. Their responses were quick and informative. The signing of the legal papers was quick with everything explained clearly to us. The meeting began at the scheduled time and we were not surprised with anything put forward to us to sign. Most importantly, the funds from the sale of our property were deposited directly into our bank account just a few short hours after the new possession, just as we were previously informed would happen. Of the many services that Robertson LLP perform, we can speak solely to the service of real estate transaction representation, and give the firm high praise for their professionalism and expertise in this area.
Many thanks to Robertson LLP for a very streamlined, efficient and friendly process from your firm. I expect to have other similar follow-up business for you in the near term and would have no hesitation in recommending your firm to others for similar services.
I never hesitate to refer my clients to Robertson LLP. Their service is timely, their fees are reasonable, and they always provide excellent customer service. My clients have always been 100% satisfied with their legal services. I highly recommend their firm!